Monday, November 24, 2014

Choosing what to paint

When looking at my art people tend to ask me several questions, but a lot of them end up being only one: Why and how did I decide to do exactly what I do?  In this post I decided to write about what I do or think to come up with my work.

There are two different kinds of works.  The ones that I get a little guideline to start with, such as commissioned paintings, and those that come straight out of my soul.

Commissioned paintings can be tricky because you have to put your style in it but most of the times the person that is paying for it, has specific ideas and things they want to include.  I usually try to meet with the clients beforehand so I can know what they want.  With a pencil and sketch book in my hand, while listening to the their instructions I draw a fast sketch. It is then when I mix my ideas with theirs, and try to guide them towards my style.

On the other hand, paintings that come from my pure and crazy imagination take a bit more to develop. First, I think of what I want to represent, what do I want to communicate to the public.  When I have the basic idea figured out, I surf the net.  Surfing through the internet helps me put the image of the painting together.  Since I'm an artist who likes to paint the human figure, the next step is to find the model for the interpretation and take a picture of the perfect pose.  Once all of the previous steps are completed I start the sketch, with pencil and paper or if I need some color representation beforehand I use polychromes colored pencils always depending on the painting I want to do.







No comments:

Post a Comment